IP communication is being extensively introduced into the operation of the Electrical Power Utility. The substation IP network environment has evolved from acting as an extension of the office LAN to a state, where it is carrying multiple services, including the transport of critical and sensitive data.
IP communication, being a one-platform solution that relieves you from designing and maintaining more than one
network, is not a one-technology solution. Therefore, the implementation of an IP network needs to be carefully planned to achieve the expected scalability and performance.
This Technical Brochure includes the following:
- A compilation of user requirements and expectations concerning existing and envisaged services in the new
- networked environment of the substation.
- A description of possible network migration processes
- Guidelines on how to choose an optimum network architecture
- A description of important parameters to be considered for each relevant technology.
- Six case studies describing project and process experiences